Established in 1818, Mount Clemens is a city in Michigan’s Macomb County. Mount Clement lies along River Clinton close to its mouth on Lake Saint Clair, just northeast of Detroit. The region’s permanent settlement can be traced back to 1795, and in 1818 Christian Clemens laid out the town. Glassmaking and cooperage were some of the region’s economic activities. In 1873, sulfurous health springs began to attract bathers to Mount Clemens. After the founding of Mount Clemens, the region quickly established a reputation for itself as one of the best pottery makers in the United States. Throughout the better part of the Twentieth Century, Mount Clemens was one of the biggest producers of greenhouse roses in the florist scene. By the late nineties, both industries had left Mount Clemens. Currently, manufacturers include food products, auto parts, and model trains. Selfridge Air National Guard Base, located to the east of Mount Clemens has an army aviation museum with aircraft that dates back to the 1920s. The region also once hosted one of the greatest inventors in American history, Thomas Alva Edison. It was at the Grand Trunk Station that the young Edison became acquainted with telegraphy. Mount Clemens became a village in 1837, and later a city in 1879. By 2000, Mount Clemens’ population had grown to 17312, and a subsequent census in 2010 found that there were 16314 people living in the region.
Cristian Clemens, the founder of Mount Clemens, first visited the region in 1796 during a surveying quest. When Christian Clemens made his first trip to the region, it was known as Big Springs or High Banks along the river, and later as Huron. The region intrigued Christian Clemens, who decided to acquire a piece of land in the region in 1801. After Clemens acquired the piece of land, he built a log house on the same spot where the CBE Group Headquarters is presently. In 1818, Christian Clemens established lots and streets with names and plotted a village that he called Mount Clemens. On 15th January 1818, Lewis Cass, the Governor of Michigan Territory signed a proclamation that established the County of Macomb, named after 1812 War Hero, General Alexander Macomb. Three months after the establishment of the County of Macomb, Governor Cass designated Mount Clemens the County seat, and Christian Clemens was appointed as the County Court’s Judge. On 26th January 1837, the day that Michigan was incorporated as the twenty-sixth state and admitted to the Union, Mount Clemens became a village. The region’s population was growing every year and by the year 1879 the population of Mount Clemens had increased to more than three thousand people. After the population surpassed 3000, the residents of Mount Clemens voted for the region to be incorporated as a city.
During the Seventies, there were several unsuccessful attempts to create salt wells in Mount Clemens. However, these attempts inadvertently led to the discovery of the popular mineral waters. It was not long after the discovery of these mineral waters, that Mount Clemens established a name for itself in the mineral bath industry and became known throughout the globe as a health spa. In the early years of the mineral bath industry, twenty-three major bathhouses and hotels alongside several small rooming houses and hotels flourished. During the Second World War, the mineral bath industry started on a downward trajectory, with less and less people coming to stay the 3 weeks required to obtain the bath’s curative powers. Today, the City of Mount Clemens is still reminiscent of the mineral bath era with its picturesque houses and beautiful old homes.